This week, I'll share my two savory Christmas holiday recipes and last recipes for this year, because desserts and treats are nice but what about a nice comforting warm dish too, right?!
You shall serve these mini gratin dishes as a starter with a little green salad on the side or as a main dish, doubling the quantities, with some rice or other cereal or some mixed salad. I chose this forgotten vegetable that is coming back on our market stalls because you can cook it like potatoes and I like its sweet flavor, you can serve it mashed, in gratin dishes, just sauteed on the frying pan, in chips, etc.
I added to this gratin dishes some mushrooms for a yummy rustic flavor marriage. Served in individual dishes or in a large one to share, this recipe will make a nice way to start your Christmas dinner or any meal this Fall or Winter. If you like or are curious about this vegetable, you can also check my Jerusalem artichoke gnocchi recipe I made last year, here.
Vegan mushroom Jerusalem artichoke gratin dish
Prep time : 15-20 minutes
Cooking time : 30-35 minutes
Serving : 4 people (as a starter)
- 600 g / 21 oz Jerusalem artichokes (about 500 g/17,6 oz peeled)- 100 g/3,50 oz mushrooms
- 100 g/3,50 oz plant-based single cream
- 100 g/3,50 oz plant-based double cream
- 10 cl /3,38 fl. oz plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- nutritional yeast
- nutmeg, salt, pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, stir in the single and double cream, milk, corn starch, nutritional yeast - to taste, it'll give some "cheesy" flavor - freshly grounded nutmeg, salt, pepper and the finely chopped garlic clove, then set aside.
- Peel the Jerusalem artichokes, slice them in similar thickness for an even cooking. To avoid them to become oxidized, you can plunge them in a mixing bowl of lemony cold water while you peel and slice them.
- Brush the mushroom - never wash them - and slice or dice them, as you prefer.
- Grease a large gratin dish or individual ones, arrange the Jerusalem artichoke and mushroom slices, cover with the batter you made at first.
- Bake in a warm oven for 30 to 35 minutes at 180°c/th 6/350°f. You can sprinkle some more nutritional yeast if you want to brown it a little. Serve and enjoy warm!
Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)
--> recette en français