Monday, July 2, 2018

Watermelon tomato cold soup (vegan)

--> recette en français





    We've been facing a heat wave lately in Paris and other parts of France - from 25°c/80°f at night to close to 35°c/95°f during the day as felt temperatures. But it seems that it's been very hot too in North America. And I guess, a lot of you are like me, when it's hot like that, I'm not hungry, all I want to to eat fresh drinks, water, fruits or salads and I alternate with mixed salad - with quinoa, raw veggies and my favorite smoked tofu, almond sesame from Taifun and cold soups. I wanted to try watermelon in a salad or cold soup for a long time because I like to use as fruit in savory dishes as veggies in desserts. 



   The flavor is delicate and you can taste watermelon. As it's not a fruit that sweet or tasty, I just added tomato, cucumber and a dash of apple vinegar but no red onion or pepper bell or other too strong seasoning. Of course, feel free to adjust all the ingredients according to your tastes.


   The soup is naturally liquid without any addition of water because it only contains watermelon, tomato and cucumber but if you prefer it thicker, just add a few chunks of avocado. And if you like avocado, I suggest you to try this avocado cucumber apple cold soup. Or you can also enjoy a home made traditional Andalusian gazpacho, a zucchini/courgette garden peas mint cold soup (in French) or dare try a beetroot raspberry one (in French).


   If you need something to face the heat, I guess this cold soup will be welcome to your place too to get some freshness and stay hydrated.






Watermelon tomato cold soup


Prep time : 15 minutes
Resting time : 1 hour or more
Serving : about 750 g / 3 cups


- 350 to 400 g / 12,34 to 14 oz watermelon flesh
- 250 g / 8,80 oz fresh tomatoes
- 100 g / 3,50 oz cucumber
- a nice handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or other type) (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 to 2 pinches of Espelette hot pepper (or other type)
- salt and pepper



  • Cut the watermelon and slice what you need of the flesh. Remove the seeds if needed and pour into the bowl of a blender (or a high container to mix with a hand held mixer).

  • Dice the tomato, peel and dice the cucumber and add to he bowl, no need to remove the seeds.

  • Slice thinly the mint leaves and add too with the vinegar, oil and spices. Blend until smooth.

  • Taste and correct the seasoning if needed. Pour into a airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour to enjoy it very fresh. You can serve it with additional toppings such as watermelon, tomato or cucumber chunks or croutons, as you prefer.



--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook or tag me on Instagram with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva. You can also share your opinion on on tried recipes you have pinned on Pinterest.







Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)








Yum
--> recette en français

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)