Today is the World Porridge Day, this event is quite recent and was created in 2009 by the charity Mary's Meals based in Scotland in order to raise funds to help starving children in developing countries.
To that occasion, I made a new seasonal porridge/oatmeal recipe, with cooked and raw apple and spices for a filling and healthy breakfast to face those future Winter cold days.
I chose to cook the flakes in plant-based milk and apple sauce (home made is always better) to make the porridge/oatmeal more creamy but you can also cook them in water (what I do for my everyday breakfast porridges).
About the flakes, you can use so many according to your taste, I chose to use oats, spelt and oat bran to give a rustic taste somehow. Adding chia seeds gives "volume" to the porridge/oatmeal and turn it into something even more comforting but you can also skip them if you're not a fan and add 5 to 10 g of flakes more.
Apple dices, cinnamon, vanilla, a pinch of salt and to serve, a dash of maple syrup and some raw apple and you're ready to enjoy this apple pie porridge/oatmeal.
Apple pie cinnamon porridge/oatmeal
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 5-8 minutes
Serving : 1 bowl
- 35 g / 1/3 cup flakes of your choice (here oats, spelt and oat bran)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 100 g apple sauce, unsweetened
- 250 ml / 1 cup plant-based milk (here oat)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 delicious apple (I used Crimson Crisp, sweet and acidic)
- In a saucepan, pour the flakes, chia seeds, apple sauce, milk, spices and half an apple, cored and diced. Mix and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it boils, reduce the heat on low/medium and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Once cooked, pour into a bowl, add some maple syrup and the remaining half apple, diced, and mix.
- Enjoy just warm or hot !
--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva! You can also share your opinion on tried recipes you have pinned in Pinterest.
Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)
--> recette en français