Thursday, December 15, 2016

Roasted butternut squash, rosemary and parmesan risotto

--> recette en français




    It was the 2nd time only I made a risotto, because it's so creamy and delicious in (good) Italian restaurants and I was told so often that it's quite difficult to cook a good one that I had never made one before this fall. 

   This one was so good, tasty and creamy that I ad to share it with you because butternut is a really easy squash to work with and the risotto was very simple and easy to prepare. I think, how I made it was not the exact traditional way of doing it but the most important thing is that it was good, right?! 


   Roasted butternut brings a nice smoked touch that season to itself the dish, still I added some rosemary and parmesan cheese to it and it was kind of perfect (to me at least, hope to you too!).


   And if you're still afraid of cooking your own risotto or just wish to cook something a little different, I suggest you to try this mascarpone, lemon and ginger pasta "risotto". Easy, ready in 30 minutes, comforting and a little childish, just what I love to cook from time to time and I'm sure it'll please you as mush as children. 


   And if you're a little curious, you may try this raw butternut salad here! 😉


--> recette en français




Roasted butternut squash, rosemary and parmesan risotto


Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serving : 2 plates


- 1/2 medium butternut squah
- olive oil
- Provence herbs
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 200 g or 7 oz risotto arborio rice
- 750 ml or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup whipping light cream (+ 3 to 4 tbsp)
- a few rosemary branches
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese, grated (plant-based recipe here)



  • Cut the butternut in half, keep the other half in clingfilm in the fridge for later.

  • Cut the ends, peel it, take the seeds off and dice the flesh. Put it on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Coat with a dash of olive oil and some herbs. Cook for 25 minutes at 180°C / 350°F, tossing the chunks halfway through the cooking time. 

  • Meanwhile, cook the onion in 1 tbsp olive oild in a large saucepan or a frying pan for about 2 to 3 minutes, they must be just translucent but not brown.

  • Add the rice and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes too until just golden.

  • Pour the white wine and cook for a few minutes on medium heat until it has been absorbed by the rice.

  • Add 2 cups of vegetable broth, 2 to 3 rosemary branches, stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer on medium heat. Keep stirring regularly so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan and the liquid is absorbed by all the grains of rice.

  • Add the vegetable broth cup remaining when the liquid as been absorbed, stir and keep cooking, my rice was ready after 20 to 25 minutes, do not forget to stir regularly. 

  • When the rice is ready, take it off the heat and take the rosemary out. 


  • Blend the roasted butternut with 3 to 4 tbsp cream until you can have a creamy purée, if there are still chunks, no big deal, you can even leave some on purpose.

  • Stir the butternut purée and the cream in the cooked rice and wam on medium heat again for a few minutes. Add some water if needed.

  • Season with salt and pepper and add some grated parmesan to your liking, I kind of never measure it and adjust by tasting the dish. Serve really warm!



  • N.B. I made some again afterwars and added some forest mushrooms, it was also very good! 


--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on IG with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva !






Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)




--> recette en français


Yum

3 comments:

  1. I just love risotto. Your addition of the squash makes it super creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Risotto is such a perfect easy meal. The creamy sauce sounds like a perfect flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made risotto in a long time. Your recipe really has me craving it again. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)