Thursday, October 4, 2018

Smooth and creamy oil free hummus, with sauteed mushrooms and seitan

--> recette en français




    A few weeks after the last published recipe, Fall is here and I'm back with a delicious recipe. I'm taking part to a new edition of a French food challenge and the theme of this month was "Let's hang out in the woods" and we had to propose a recipe with fruit or vegetables or nuts from the woods so I chose the mushrooms because, well, I just love them, raw or cooked and all the varieties I guess.


   To go with them, I wanted to try this dish I had eaten last Spring in Barcelona, in Hummus Barcelona, a vegetarian food place. I'm not a big fan of hummus but I wanted to give it another try and I had really enjoyed it because it was very smooth and also it was the first time I ate one as a dish with cooked mushrooms. And as I had hesitated with the seitan version, I chose to assemble all together today in this recipe.

   If you're not familiar with it, seitan - that means "protein based" in Japanese - is made of wheat gluten and it's protein packed, you can cook it as meat. If you're looking for another recipe to try with seitan, it's here.


   What I always didn't like in hummus was that crumbly and dry texture and sour taste but the one I ate in Barcelona was so smooth, I thought I had just experienced bad ones so far. I found a couple of tips : first, no oil but just water or yogurt and also, very important, peel the chickpeas to that the hummus is really smooth and more digestible. Then, only basic ingredients : lemon juice, garlic, tahini (sesame paste), salt, pepper and spices.


   To enjoy this hummus, I wanted to try to bake my own pita bread but lacked of time and found some delicious ones on the organic store. Next time, I try to make some home made ones!


   So if you've never ben a fan of hummus or want to try another version, here we go for this yummy protein packed recipe.





Smooth and creamy oil free hummus, with sauteed mushrooms and seitan


Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 5 to 10 minutes
Serving : 2


- 250 g/8,8 oz cooked or canned chickpeas*
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1,5 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- 100 g/3,5 oz yogurt  (soy for me)
- 1/2 a garlic clove
- salt, pepper
- ground cumin and coriander
- To serve : sesame seeds, toasted sesame oil, smoked paprika(optional)


- 100 to 125 g/3,5 to 4,4 oz mushrooms of your choice
- 75 g/2,6 oz seitan (my favorite is the gourmet grill from Lima)
- ground garlic, chopped fresh coriander(optional)



* Don't throw the liquid or cooked water, the aquafaba, you may want to try a vegan pastry recipe like this one : click.




  • Drain the chickpeas and keep the liquid to try a vegan dessert recipe.

  • Pour them in a large mixing bowl and cover with cold water, rub them between your fingers to peel them off, the exterior thin envelop will surface and you can take them out easily. It takes time but I really suggest you not to skip this step because your hummus will be very smooth and easier to digest.

  • Once the peas peeled off, pour them into the bowl of a food processor, add the lemon juice, the tahini, the yogurt, the 1/2 garlic clove cut in 4 - don't forget to take he germ off - salt, pepper and spices to taste. Blend for a few minutes, in 2 or 3 times and scrap off the sides of the bowl if needed, until you have a smooth texture.

  • Cut the end of the mushroom feet and brush them under some cold water - never wash them head down -  and cut in 4 or slice them as you prefer. Also dice the seitan.

  • Brown the mushrooms and seitan in a frying pan with just 1 tsp or margarine or oil and cook them on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. You can add some ground garlic if you want. At the end of the cooking, add salt, pepper, chopped fresh coriander - I use some frozen one, very handy.

  • Transfer the hummus into a soup plate or  bowl, you can add a dash of toasted sesame oil, some sesame seeds and smoked paprika if you want.

  • Serve with the mushrooms and seitan on top or on the side. Enjoy with some good pita bread!


--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook or tag me on Instagram with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva. You can also share your opinion on on tried recipes you have pinned on Pinterest.





Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)




--> recette en français


Yum

1 comment:

  1. Ca a l'air tellement gourmand !
    On en mangerait volontiers un bol entier !

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)