Sunday, March 27, 2016

Exotic mango passion fruit Eton Mess

--> Recette en français.




     Today, I took part to a new food challenge and the theme was "exotic fruit". I didn't think long, I love exotic fruit and my favorite one is mango!


   I also love Pavlova but I had never prepared its British cousin, the Eton Mess so I went for it today. What I like in Eton Mess is that you build it as you want, in the same order as the Pavlova or "in a mess". 



   By the way, did you know that one legend says that the Eton Mess was born when families were visiting their children in Eton, near London, they dropped a Pavlova they were bringing but succeeded to save it and brought it "in a mess", who knows? ^_^ 




   I put vanilla in my meringue for once and it was good, I also didn't had sugar in my whipped cream because I wanted this dessert to be fresh and light but you can of course add some. Be sure to use ripe fruit so that they're sweet enough.


   With the following quantities, I made 2 large desserts but you can prepare 3 less big of them but you can put more meringue, less cream, more fruit, really as you wish. I also added organic dried mallow flowers for the decoration, it's optional of course.

 

--> Recette en français.



 
Mango Passion Eton Mess


Prep time : 5 minutes + 5 minutes + 10 minutes
Cook time : 1 hour
Serving : 2 to 3 people



Meringue

- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 120 g (4,2 oz) powdered sugar
- a few drops lemon juice



  • I followed this recipe I use each time (except for the Pavlova), here. It's only in French so far but you can use the translation button :-)

Whipped cream

- 20 cl (7 fl oz) 30 % fat whipping or heavy cream real cold
- icing sugar (optional)


  • All your material must be real cold, put your whisks and a mixing bowl - in glass or stainless-steel is better - in the fridge of freezer about 20 minutes before, your cream must also be cold. You can also put a bag full of ice under the mixing bowl if your kitchen is quite warm - if you cooked before for example.

     
  • Pour the whipping cream in the mixing bowl and whisk!

  • Your whipped cream is ready when it doesn't slide anymore in the bowl when you turn it over and the cream must do like a "bird beak" at the end of the whisks.

     
  • Careful not to whisk the cream too long or it will turn into butter, yes, really...

     
  • If you want to make a "chantilly", just add icing sugar, very softly, at the end with a spatula (about 30 to 50 g/1,05 to 1,75 oz for a 20 cl carton cream).



Assembling

- 1 ripe mango
- 2 to 3 ripe passion fruit(you can see they are when they're crumpled)


  • Put some crumbled meringue in the bottom of a large glass, cover with the whipped cream, add pieces of mango and some passion fruit and proceed to these three staps again.

  • Or... assemble your Eton Mess as you want, after all, we're talking about a "mess"!

  • Chose your favorite spoon and dive it in!

  • You can assemble the desserts some time before serving but not too much or the meringue could go soft.

--> Recette en français.





Yum

22 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that looks so good! I never really knew what an Eton Mess was, but now I want to make one myself. If you liked your meringue with vanilla extract, may I suggest a tiny splash of almond extract next time? It does great things for fruit. PINNING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you'll for it!
      Thanks for the tip Dorothy, I'll try next time! :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow this is pretty! So colorful and I bet the textures are so fabulous! Great for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this dessert but it looks so good...I need to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Eton Mess and your mango-passion fruit version is totally delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks just beautiful and bet tastes so good - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had passion fruit in so long, I'd love to try this. What a great spin on a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty yet simple dessert to make! So good for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an elegant and delicious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mango and passion fruit combination! This dessert looks so pretty and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely dessert with a tropical twist! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)