Last week, I took part to a monthly food culinary challenge and this month's theme was about seeds we had to use in our recipe in addition to a seasonal fruit or vegetable.
As my father's birthday was last Wednesday, I decided to mix two of his favorite desserts, the rice pudding and the apple pie, in a jar. I made an apple granola full of seeds and dried fruit for the "crust" in put at the bottom of the jar, a vanilla vegan (or not) poppy seed rice pudding, topped with a vanilla apple compote.
This dessert is crunchy and moist, sweet and sour and the combination of the apple compote and the rice pudding was a real revelation to me, so tasty!
You can bake the granola and prepare the apple compote and the rice pudding in the mean time so that your parfait with be ready in about half-an-hour, an easy dessert you can make any time you're craving for as you'll have more granola than needed for this recipe.
Apple pie rice pudding seeds granola parfait (vegan, gluten free)
Prep time : 5 min + 5 min + 5 min
Cook time : 30 min + 35 min + 15 min
Serving : 3 jars
Seeds apple granola
- 2 cups (190 g or 6,7 oz) oats
- 1 to 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp buck wheat seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (145 g or 5,1 oz) apple sauce
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil (or other oil)
- 2 to 3 pinches fleur de sel
- 1 handful raisins
- 1 handful dried cranberries
- In a bowl, mix the dried ingredients (oats, spices and seeds). In another bowl, mix the liquid ingredients (apple sauce, maple syrup and oil). Pour on the dried ingredients and stir well.
- Put the granola down on a baking sheet covered with baking paper, add fleur de sel and bake for 15 min at 160°c/ 350°F.
- Stir the granola and bake again for about 10 to 15 min, watch it and make sure it doesn't burn.
- Take the granola out of the oven, add the dried fruit and stir well, let it cool down before to pour it in a airtight container as you'll have more granola than needed for this recipe. Enjoy the rest of it with yogurt, milk, fruit compote or anything you like.
Vanilla poppy seed (vegan) rice pudding
- 1 cup (100 g or 3,5 oz) pudding (or arborio) rice
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) almond milk (or other milk)
- (50 g or 1,76 oz) organic whole cane sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 little tbsp poppy seeds
- Rince the rice in water 2 or 3 times. Cook it in the milk with sugar and the vanilla seeds and pod on medium heat for about 35 min, make sure to stir very regularly so that it doesn't stick at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Once cooked, pour it immediately in a dish to make it cool down, don't forget to take the vanilla pod out.
Vanilla apple compote
- 4 pastry apples (Boskoop type)
- 1 vanilla pod
- Peal and empty the heart of the apples, cut them in chunks and cook them on medium heat with the vanilla seeds and pod for about 15 min. You can add sugar if the apples are not sweet enough. Cook them more or less according to if you want to keep apple chunks or not.
- I put up the parfaits in this order: granola, rice pudding and apple compote but you can garnish your jars as you want.
- Choose your favorite spoon and dig it in!