Friday, May 11, 2018

Crunchy quinoa, raw asparagus and orange salad

--> recette en français




    Here is a recipe I've had in a corner of my head for 4 years. I had tasted a raw salad of asparagus and discovered they could be enjoyed uncooked and it was very good. I had written this on my To Do List but always forgot about it and the list got bigger and bigger.


   I thought again about it a few weeks ago when I bought my first asparagus of the season. I added some crunchy quinoa to go with it, the taste and the texture are slightly different, it's interesting.

   About the asparagus, I tried greens and whites, both work to be eaten raw, but they have to be very fresh. Then, I improvised with orange supremes because I saw some oranges on my kitchen counter and, well, that's a good match. It's the end of the season in Europe and I don't know with what to replace them, I saw strawberries go well with asparagus, or you can just skip the fruit.


   To season the salad, I still improvised and put a little of this and a little of that (sesame oil, orange and lemon juice, tamari soy sauce) and it was good, but you can use your favorite home made - or not - seasoning.


   Honestly, if you have never tasted raw asparagus, I strongly suggest you to give them a try.


   The quantities are really optional and personal, it depends of your appetite, if you plan to eat this as a starter or main or side dish, etc., feel free to adjust them, as for the seasoning.






Crunchy quinoa, raw asparagus and orange salad


Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serving : 2


- about 10 asparagus (white and/or green)
- 1 orange (when in season)
- 100 g (crunchy) quinoa
- toasted sesame oil
- tamari soy sauce
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- sesame seeds


  • Rince and drain the quinoa, cook it in salty boiling water as written on the box, usually for 10 minutes and then let it sit in the saucepan off the heat for 5 minutes, then drain it. Careful not to over cook it.

  • Peel the orange raw and remove the supremes thanks to a sharp knife - with tiny teeth, I find it easier. Don't throw the juice and keep it for the seasoning.

  • Wash and dry the asparagus and cut the base that is often fibrous. Don't use a knife, hold it between the fingers of one hand and bend the base by pulling on it gently with the other one, it will break naturally on the right place. 

  • For this recipe, you don't need to peel the asparagus but you can cut the damaged parts of needed. Then slice them thin with a mandolin or a peeler flat on a cutting board to avoid breaking them.

  • Prepare the seasoning, in a bowl, stir in the sesame oil, the orange and lemon juice, the tamari soy sauce, salt and pepper according to your taste, careful not to add too much oil or soy sauce.  

  • You can now serve the dish, lay some quinoa in a plate, add the asparagus laces, the orange supremes, add some seeds if you want, I spread some sesame seeds and pink peppercorns to decorate (and because it's good) and serve with the seasoning (stir because using).




--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram with  #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva! You can also share your opinion on tried recipes you have pinned in Pinterest.






Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)





Yum

--> recette en français

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)